Subject: Re: Should libc's toplevel Makefile add -DNLS to CFLAGS?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@nyx.dcs.muni.cz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/05/1994 11:14:38
 "J.T. Conklin" <jtc@cygnus.com> wrote:

 [reasons deleted]

> Rebuttal of for position:
> 	1. Most NetBSD users are from english speaking countries; thus
> 	   NLS is useless to most of our user base.

  1) I'm not from english speaking country, but I prefer original english
     messages anyway (I have enough experience with localized MSDOS progs
      - one often needs to reverse engineer english wording to understand
     the Czech translation)

  2) I think it's possible to link libcwithNLS.so instead libcwithoutNLS.so
     with dynamic executable in runtime through change of LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     (or file replacement when system-wide decission is made)

 => I'd disable -DNLS by default.

> Rebuttal of against position:
> 	1. It's not that much bigger or that much slower that it
> 	   matters.  In fact, I have versions of the NLS functions
> 	   that sit atop BSD's DB instead of their own database format
> 	   that would make the differences even smaller.
>
> 	2. It's not that difficult to change NLS to have __cat*
> 	   functions that are called from within the library; and cat*
> 	   functions that call the __cat* functions to supply the
> 	   X/Open NLS API.  We could even weak symbols and linker
> 	   magic to do this, so there would be no overhead.

  Both improvements will be welcome even if NLS is not used by default.

---------
Zdenek Salvet
Masaryk University,Czech Republic