Subject: Re: Should libc's toplevel Makefile add -DNLS to CFLAGS?
To: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/05/1994 07:20:02
On Tue, 04 Oct 1994 12:05:03 -0700  "J.T. Conklin" wrote:

> I hope you realize that I've thought quite a bit about this issue.
> I'd like to enable -DNLS, but I thought I'd ask a larger user base
> before I do.

I really doubt that the speed cost is too high to pay.  That the
functions are not blessed by ANSI seems a shame, but then I don't know
anyone who writes purely ANSI C.

On the other hand, I'd probably leave this out as setlocale(3) will
only support the 'C' locale.  (Per -current source from late August).
Also, the cat* functions are only using LANG, and not LC_ALL et al.

Looks like there is a project here.  Is there any more locale related
code in the 4.4-lite release?

Regards,

Giles

P.S. From my quick perusal of the "POSIX Programmer's Guide" and
"The C Standard Library" I figure nobody standardised the tools
for building and manipulating locales?