Re: bootable mac68k iso (Was: Tools mkhybrid(8) for mac68k/macppcISO9660/HFS install ISO images

Hi,

> 1) I noticed that the installation only lists the first four available
> SCSI disks. This would not be a problem in most situations, though with
> BlueSCSI I have five targets defined specifically for this sort of testing.
>
> Recommendation: Include all of the SCSI disks in the list of available
> drives.

What do you mean "the installation" here?
Installer on MacOS, or sysinst on NetBSD?

/dev/MAKEDEV script for NetBSD/mac68k creates only sd0, sd1, and sd2
so maybe it isn't enough:
 https://github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/db203c84/etc/etc.mac68k/MAKEDEV.conf

but users still can create device node manually like
cd /dev; MAKEDEV sd3 sd4 sd5 sd6
etc.

> 2) I didn't use a real SCSI CD-ROM drive, though the iso would have fit.
> The BlueSCSI simulated CD-ROM is faster at around 75-80 KiB/s, compared
> to about 20-40 KiB/s for a real Apple SCSI CD-ROM drive.
>
> Recommendation: Include a DVD-sized iso that has all of the software,
> including source code.

I guess it has pros. and cons., i.e. depends on demand vs size
(capacity and bandwidth).

Not all users have BlueSCSI like devices, and writing extra ~300MB
onto CD-R takes a several minutes (at least for me).

Most users will get sources via cvs (or github), and ordinary(?)
NetBSD developers will use crossbuild environment, so I guess
there is less demand to get sources via CD image on poor m68k machines.

Even if it's still required, anyone can create it (even on Linux)
with the following commands:

---
git clone https://github.com/netbsd/src
git clone https://github.com/netbsd/xsrc
cd src
sh build.sh -U -m mac68k -x -X ../xsrc -j 8 release sourcesets iso-image-source
ls -l obj/releasedir/images
---

> 3) There is still an issue on the IIci with RAM-based video (RBV, i.e.
> built-in video). The issue is described in NetBSD Problem Report #58164:
> https://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=58164

This is a compilcated mac68k specific issue, I'll comment in
another thread later.

Thanks,
---
Izumi Tsutsui