re: adding COPTS to shrink kernel binary size

> > On Feb 9, 2023, at 6:05 AM, Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > In vax case, not all VAXen have size restrictions, especially
> > simh users. I'm afraid such users (who are building packages etc.)
> > rather want proper performance than smaller kernels, so I just
> > thought -freorder-blocks-agolithm=simple could be a compromise.
> > (-fno-unwind-functions may be harmless though)
>
> How appreciable is the performance difference between -Os and -O2 on VAX??

will be curious to see this with GCC 10 _and_ GCC 11 i plan
to import soon.  GCC 11 has a largely reworked VAX backend,
which reportedly fixes many of the bugs we see.  there are a
lot of vax -O0/-O1 hacks in the tree, and we should check
them all out to see which are fixed.

no actual time-line for this, but with binutils upgrade done
i don't have any direct blockers.

"stay tuned" :-)

.mrg.