Re: binutils 2.39 vs old unix ar(1)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 09:21:35 +1100, matthew green wrote:

> Valery Ushakov writes:
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 08:41:25 +1100, matthew green wrote:
> >
> > >        l   Specify dependencies of this library.  ...
> > [...]
> > >            For example L "-L/usr/local/lib -lmydep1 -lmydep2"
> >
> > Is it 'l' or 'L'?
>
> i think this 'L' is a typo.  it's 'l'.  i was able to
> change the "ar clq" to continue to take the 'l' flag
> when i wrote it like:
>
>    ar cql' '
>
> the normal "clq" ends up trying to use 'q' as a dep (what does
> a dep in a .a file mean?  there's a new --record-libdeps that
> is the same as 'l', but the docs don't really talk about what
> it means beyond the basic guess.)

The texinfo doc does:

  @item --record-libdeps @var{libdeps}
  The @option{--record-libdeps} option is identical to the @option{l} modifier,
  just handled in long form.

I think this should be reported as a bug.  It's been two years, but I
doubt there are many new makefiles that started to use 'l' in the new
sense.

Meanwhile we probably should set HasLargeTmp for imake in the default
config so that it doesn't use the "old" 'l'.

-uwe