Re: make -- generate missing include files

On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 05:35:50PM +0100, Robert Clausecker wrote:
 >     .INCLUDE_FAILED:
 >             @echo Generating missing include file $^
 >             $(SH) conf/makeinc $^

That $^ there... is not standard and is not supported in bmake. Since
I'm sure your rules are full of it, they'll not work.

(Also, in this context didn't you mean $@? Or is $^ further magic with
this magic target?)

 >     include $(ARCH)-$(OS)-$(COMPILER_TYPE).rul
 >
 > This mechanism permits the build system to automatically adapt itself
 > to whatever target platform it is built for.  Apart from our own smake,
 > it is also supported by SunPro make and GNU make.

That's a cute technique but there are other easier ways to do that
sort of thing in bmake.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost