Re: Proposal: change requirement for tools from C89 to C99

I'm all for switching to C99! "int i; for (i = 0; ..." have always made me anxious!

On 2/2/22 6:36 AM, Andrew Cagney wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 at 14:53, Roland Illig <roland.illig%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:

Am 31.01.2022 um 11:14 schrieb Robert Elz:
I don't follow C standards.   What are the c99 features we'd
want to use in tools that don't work in c89?
[snip]

* Use the function modifier 'inline' unconditionally.

Or not bother.  The compiler tends to have its own ideas, especially
when link-time-optimization is enabled.

There is one case you need to bother: inline functions in a header file. Compilers decide if they want to inline them or compile them as weak symbols, but they never generate strong ones.