Re: very strange build failure in external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3/include/bits

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021, Greg A. Woods wrote:

It's almost as if the call to rename() in 'mv' succeeds, but returns an
ENOENT error sometimes!!!

Or, there's a race to completion happening. Is libstdc++-v3 being built
twice?

BTW, there's a rule in /usr/src/external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3/Makefile
of a similar form but it includes what seems to me to be a nonsensical
"&& rm -f ${.TARGET}.tmp" at the end.  Shouldn't that be "|| rm -f ..."???
(or just not there at all?)

That does look like an error. Or, someone trying to work around just the
issue you've stumbled upon :)

-RVP

PS. I should ask: your machines are all running NTP, right?