Re: I need support with a planned POSIX make extension

Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> > OK, from our discussions at the POSIX teleconferences, we came to the
> > conclusion that using $$ is extremely rare
> >

> I find that .... puzzling.  If I was Living in the 70's, backtick would be
> the norm for command substitution.  But I'm not. so Instead I use $() which
> means $$() is common.

Well, I am writing portable makefiles that are expected to work even on UNIX
versions from 1984, so I did not have $() on my radar.

Also note that POSIX does not require /bin/sh to be a POSIX shell. Solaris 10
e.g. is POSIX certified, but comes with the historic Bourne Shell as /bin/sh
that only supports backticks and I added $() support to the Boure Shell in
March 2016, which is not really long ago.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg%schily.net@localhost                  Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
					Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/