gcc/vax crashes if built on linux, not on netbsd

so, I've been digging at what I thought is Yet Another GCC/VAX bug, but
the same test case doesn't crash when built on netbsd.

That is,

Host: linux, GCC 7.4.0, building vax tools: crash
Host: netbsd, GCC 7.4.0, building vax tools: no crash

(I started digging into it because my build.sh release failed)

Should I just give up and sleep for now? :-)