Re: unprivileged install(1) with bmake

coypu%sdf.org@localhost writes:

> I re-did a Makefile for a package with an outdated build system.
> Now I'd like to put this in pkgsrc (now it's wip/slicot), and I get:

> install  -c  -r -o root -g wheel -m 444  -a "ranlib -t" libslicot.a /current/pkgsrc/wip/slicot/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/lib/libslicot.a
> install: /current/pkgsrc/wip/slicot/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/lib/libslicot.a.inst.lTLcbS: chown/chgrp: Operation not permitted
>
> What am I missing to make unprivileged installs work for pkgsrc?

There are some flags to use METALOG, where the installation does not
actually set the uid, but records it, and then the tarring up swaps in
the recorded uid.  See '-U' and '-M metalog' in the install(1) manpage.

I am at a loss to tell you where in pkgsrc these flags are passed; it
seems likely that they are part of the wrappers, so that a package
calling install will do what pkgsrc needs.