Re: bmake: variable modifiers in SysV include

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 07:32:40AM +0000, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
 > Anybody with historical memory on SysV-style "include" directive in bmake
 > can shed a light on why an include is prevented if a colon is found in the
 > parsed line?

It doesn't require historical memory. The test is there is so rules
like

   include lib bin sbin etc:
           mkdir $@ && cd $@ && $(MAKE) -f $(SRC)/$@/Makefile

are not mishandled as inclusions. Use the bmake include syntax; it was
put there for a reason.

If you're trying to write a portable makefile, you should limit
yourself to reliable constructions; I very much doubt your own example
will work reliably in vintage make dialects.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost