Re: make -V default behavior change

On Jun 19,  7:13pm, joerg%bec.de@localhost (Joerg Sonnenberger) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: make -V default behavior change

| > The code is identical to what it was before with the only thing I changed
| > is this:
| >
| > -                expandVars = getBoolean(".MAKE.EXPAND_VARIABLES", FALSE);
| > +                expandVars = getBoolean(".MAKE.EXPAND_VARIABLES", TRUE);
|
| So what happens if .MAKE.EXPAND_VARIABLES is set? Can we really please
| just go back to the original behavior and add a new option that *always*
| expands the variable?

It is a boolean as it was; it's default value has changed. If it
is not set, then it will default to TRUE now (which is the change
from the original behavior).

If it is set, it will act the same as before (it will be set to
the value the user set). This is sjg's original design. I believe
he indended the default to be TRUE also, but I will let him speak
to that. The man page does not specify if the variable will be
expanded or not in the default case.

As I mentioned before, the unexpanded output is only useful for
debugging. Nobody has mentioned a use case that does not involve
debugging.

christos