Re: Dropping tsort for archive creation

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> in the old days, sorting archive members topologically helped to improve
> build time. I don't think it provides a significant advantage anymore as
> most systems will keep the archives in memory during linking and lookup
> is generally helped by the index.

My memory is fuzzy, but I remember more or less that in the really old
days (late 70s), .o files inside .a were tsorted so that linkers that
only went through once and added a .o to the binary if it resolved
unknown symbols would work, instead of needing multiple passes.  So I
have always seen this as necessary (or formerly necessary), rather than
as a speed thing.  It could well be that such linkers are totally
extinct.

Did your test build actually make static binaries?   It seems that in
current NetBSD, the only think static is /rescue.