Re: make: avoid breaking backwards compatability

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 07:06:39AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 09:30:53AM +0300, Jarmo Jaakkola wrote:
>  > Anyway, I will never re-implement this.  If you want this behavior, you
>  > either revert the changes or do it yourself.
>
> Revert it is, I guess.

Please do note that I was only talking about the case of

> No. Breaking things that were never well defined or that nobody in
> their right mind would have done on purpose is different from breaking
> intentional features that people rely on.

From where I'm standing, both of these features were not well defined
(i.e. not documented) and in the case of forcing inferred dependencies
on non-inferred targets also not something anybody in their right mind
would have depended on.

> (*) for example the objdir misfeature

Could you please expand a bit?  This really is a feature that confuses
me.

Anyway, I think we've buried all worthwile discussion too deep into this
thread already.  I'll start new threads for discussing the features you
want re-instated so it will get a larger audience.

--
Jarmo Jaakkola