Re: make: avoid breaking backwards compatability

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 01:22:00PM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
 > >Oh please, that's a bug in the makefile. What does an escaped nothing
 > >mean? If you're so concerned about the diffs, stick a blank line at
 > >the end.
 >
 > Try reading my post again, if I found 4 makefiles with that issue
 > others surely exist and I cannot fix them if I don't know where they
 > are.

So? The hypothetical makefiles you're referring to are wrong. Someone
will notice and they'll be fixed.

 > >Why add a knob for this? It is just a bug. Unless there is some part
 >
 > Try reading the previous thread.  This is a deliberate change AFAICT
 > for closer POSIX conformance.

Where in the previous thread? I skimmed through it specifically
looking and could find nothing that pertained to this case. Neither do
any of the cases in PR 49086 appear to be relevant.

 > >Since .PATH is only supposed to be used for files that are not found
 > >in the current directory, and in the case you care about subdir/foo.c
 >
 > I didn't say subdir was in .CURDIR, in fact it is in a dir found via
 > .PATH

In that case, the problem is that it's searching a second time for
files that have already been found. It should not be doing this.
Adding a special-case bodge to work around it is still wrong.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost