Re: Make and makefile bugs (PRs 49085, 49086, 49087)

There's one thing about the suffix transformation rules I forgot
to bring up earlier.  It only comes up if one suffix is a catenation
of two other ones.  The current implementation always gives precedence
to the two suffix rule and this is how I left it.  I was just wondering
if it is the best way.

So, if .a, .b, and .a.b are known suffixes, what should a rule for .a.b
mean?  If two suffix rules always take precedence, there is no way
to have it mean "foo.a.b" -> "foo".  Should it perhaps be that .SUFFIXES
order is used here too?  So if the order is for example ".b .a.b .a",
then it would be a single suffix rule, but with ".a .a.b .b" it would be
a two suffix rule.  That way the user could decide instead of make doing
the decision.

It might be possible to implement it as both simultaneously, but I think
that would just get complicated.

--
Jarmo Jaakkola