re: Building in a read only repository

> WRKDIRPREFIX = /usr/obj
> BUILDIR = /usr/obj/build
> WRKOBJDIR = /usr/obj
> TOOLDIR = /usr/obj/tools
> BSDOBJDIR = /usr/obj
> RELEASEDIR = /usr/obj/release
> DESTDIR = /usr/obj/destdir
>
> I then go into /usr/src and build everything.  The following two
> commands work fine:
>
> # ./build.sh -M /usr/obj tools
> # ./build.sh -M /usr/obj kernel=GENERIC

setting -M to the same base-dir as all of the base seems like
it might be causing your problem.

perhaps try removing BSDOBJDIR.

i let build.sh default my RELEASEDIR and DESTDIR these days.
your value is the same as the default for RELEASEDIR, and the
default DESTDIR simply adds ".${MACHINE}".  (also TOOLDIR,
which ends up being some host uname based path, similar to
yours.)

more recently, i've changed my MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX (same as the
-M option to build.sh) to be like this:

   '/var/obj/${MACHINE}${MACHINE_ARCH:N${MACHINE}:C/(.)/-\1/}'

which gives me different objdirs for *every* platform and its
various target types.  m68k and powerpc usually end up longer,
but most others are now properly separated..

.mrg.