Re: lossage with successive builds on netbsd-6 branch

On Tue 24 Dec 2013 at 16:24:55 +0000, David Laight wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 01:36:05PM +0100, Christoph Badura wrote:
> > When I do two (or more) build.sh runs in a row switching MACHINE with -m
> > only the first one runs to completion. E.g.:
> >
> > ./build.sh -j8 -U -O obj -m i386 tools release >& build.i386.log
> > ./build.sh -j8 -U -O obj -m sparc tools release >& build.sparc.log
>
> You need to use different object directories for the two builds.

If I do that (i.e., both things mentioned above) it seems that the
second build re-builds some of the host tools unnecessarily. I keep the
same TOOLDIR between them.

I haven't checked extensively what the cause of this is, I just wanted
to mention it in case somebody knows that there is, in fact, a good
reason for it.

For instance, recenly I did a VAX build following an amd64 build, and
this is a small part of the log output:

dependall-sed ===> tools
dependall ===> tools/sed
     create  sed/compile.d
     create  sed/main.d
     create  sed/misc.d
     create  sed/process.d
     create  sed/.depend
    compile  sed/compile.lo
    compile  sed/misc.lo
    compile  sed/main.lo
    compile  sed/process.lo
       link  sed/sed
install-sed ===> tools
install ===> tools/sed
    install  /vol1/rhialto/tools.amd64/bin/nbsed

Of course there had been a perfectly ok version of nbsed already because
of the amd64 build.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'