Re: Importing LLVM/Clang

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
At this point, I would like to import the LLVM and Clang sources to make it easier to test the new toolchain without needing SVN.

I would like that, although I note that the LLVM/Clang sources (to be in src/external/bsd/llvm/dist) take about 550MB of disk space, which seems quite large relative to the 370MB used by src/external/gpl3/gcc, and the 2.8GB currently used by the entire src tree.

I would still strongly request that *no* local changes are made. I will discuss a NetBSD branch in the relevant upstream repositories that can be used for merging "temporary" / "local" changes for import in our tree.

Committing to some upstream repository and then merging, instead of committing directly to the NetBSD repository, means that fewer people will be able to do it, and it will probably take longer. I think it would be fine to try that method, and reconsider later if it proves to be a problem.

In principle, NetBSD i386 and amd64 can be switched to LLVM/Clang now.

I wouldn't make LLVM/Clang the default compiler right now, but I would encourage people to test it with a view to making it the default compiler in the future.

I have successfully run versions of NetBSD-current/i386 built by LLVM/Clang in the past, though I am running a gcc-built system right now. I do not recall any run-time problems, but there were several compiler warnings or errors that needed to be fixed.

--apb (Alan Barrett)