Re: make: dynamic scaling of maxJobs ?

>...also if we're going to try to do automatic selection of the number
>of parallel jobs (particularly, if we're going to update on the fly)
>it should really be a kernel service.

That would make portabilty quite a challenge.
I was building netbsd, and freebsd, the other guy I mentioned was
building on linux.

Given that a simple shell script can deliver all that's required in this
regard for make, why add the complexity?

Of course if you do come up with a kernel thingy that provides some magic
number, this patch to make can still take advantage of it, without make
being the least bit aware of it.  Just run a tool that queries that
service.

Thanks
--sjg