Re: make: dynamic scaling of maxJobs ?

On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 11:05:16AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
 > >Rather than add a lot of complexity to make to address this, I decided
 > >to let it use an external tool.
 > >Eg.
 > >
 > >make -j /opt/bin/maxJobs.sh
 > >
 > >and make will run that to get an initial value, and re-run it
 > >occasionally to adjust.
 >
 > I sometimes use wrapper scripts that run make -j $(choose_maxjobs.sh).
 > Is it really worthwhile to add the complexity to make itself, instead
 > of leaving it in a wrapper script?

...also if we're going to try to do automatic selection of the number
of parallel jobs (particularly, if we're going to update on the fly)
it should really be a kernel service.

There's lots of parallelizing tools that would benefit from being able
to deduce this number without manual input.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost