Re: Unexpected obsolete cat pages with MKCATPAGES=yes

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 10:58:46PM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have set MKCATPAGES=yes on some of my machines, and now see some
> postinstall warnings about obsolete catpages ... It seems to trigger
> for recently modified man pages such as dev_mkdb.8 i updated today.
>
> catpages check:
>         Obsolete cat page ///usr/share/man/cat1/elf2aout.0
>         Obsolete cat page ///usr/share/man/cat1/elf2ecoff.0
>         Obsolete cat page ///usr/share/man/cat3/ypclnt.0
>         Obsolete cat page ///usr/share/man/cat3/yp_all.0
> [...]
>         Obsolete cat page ///usr/share/man/cat3/ypprot_err.0
>         Obsolete cat page ///usr/share/man/cat3/yp_setbindtries.0
>         Obsolete cat page ///usr/share/man/cat8/dev_mkdb.0
>
> Sometimes updated catpages are not always installed into destdir,
> leading to the problem i currently face. Which could have been
> existing for quite some time but remained unnoticed until recent
> catpages switch.

Got it. This is a bad side effect from the `cmp' test in install rule.

If the man page gets modified, but the change is not noticeable in
either cat or html pages; neither of them will be updated in dest dir,
only the source page. In that case, the cat page will be older than
the man page ... triggering the postinstall warning and fix.

--
Nicolas Joly

Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
Institut Pasteur, Paris.