gcc specs bug - -Wl,-r vs. -r ?

Right now the sparc64 build is failing in lib/libpam due to gcc passing
-r and --relax to ld at the same time (which does not make sense, and
apparently with the new binutils became and error).

The specs say: %(link_arch)   %{!mno-relax:%{!r:-relax}}   %(netbsd_link_spec)

but we are not using "-r" but -Wl,-r on the gcc command line.

Am I missing something? A bug in the specs or in gcc?

Martin