Re: __read_mostly and __mp_friendly annotations

I dug into this some, and I think it's a non-issue.  On the bootloader I have a
custom ldscript, so that base is covered fine.  I'm not using any special
alignments on the rest of the kernel, so we should be ok.  Sorry for the
paranoia.

On 06-Jun-2010 Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 07:52:20 -0700 (MST), Tim Rightnour
> <root%garbled.net@localhost>
> wrote:
>>
>> The only thing I'm not sure about, is if it's safe to use an alignment of 64
>> on
>> powerpc.  The issue is mostly that the powerpc cpus vary wildly in cacheline
>> sizes, and whinyness about alignment.  I suspect it's not a big deal, as the
>> kernel isn't generally as picky as the bootloader is about alignment issues.
>> IIRC I might have used 64 as the alignment on the bootloader too though, so
>> it
>> might be just fine and my memory failing.
>
> Is there anyway to check whether this is a real issue or not? Do any
> data items really need an alignment > 64 bytes?

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/