Re: make: enhancements?

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 12:01:38PM -0700, Simon Gerraty wrote:
 > .NOTPARALLEL:  put make into compat mode, since maxJobs=1 is insufficient
 >             to fix missing dependencies.

I'm not convinced this is desirable, BTW. I know it runs totally
different code in compat mode (this is something that should probably
be cleaned up) but even so, shouldn't it end up with the same tree
order with one job? It has to process sources left-to-right or .WAIT
won't work, and that ordering constraint is all that traditional make
ever offered.

Do you have an example of a makefile that induces different behavior
in the two cases, and that works predictably in legacy makes, i.e.
isn't just flatly broken?

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost