Re: NetBSD & binary [was Re: config(5) break down]

At Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:35:34 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse
<mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: NetBSD & binary [was Re: config(5) break down]

> Yes, this excludes the people who don't understand and don't want to.
> To steal a term from marketing, I don't think NetBSD should try to
> serve that market segment; it's already well-served by others, and I
> see no percentage in trying to join them.  It doesn't serve them better
> (indeed, by adding yet another alternative they neither are nor want to
> be competent to choose among, it serves them worse) and it doesn't
> serve NetBSD (people who don't even want to understand are among the
> least likely to turn into developers and contribute back).  So what's
> to like?

Thank you!  Very well said.

I don't know if it helps to go any further, but perhaps I could add that
we don't really want that market segment anyway -- they would only
increase our "costs".  We need to let them go waste other people's time.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/