Re: Confused about MKBUILD=yes

At Sun, 07 Mar 2010 01:33:43 -0500, Richard Hansen <rhansen%bbn.com@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: Confused about MKBUILD=yes

> While investigating a segfault in libpam on the netbsd-5 branch, I
> discovered that MKDEBUG=yes (see mk.conf(5)):
>
>    * does not install debugging symbols for libraries
>    * does not install any debug symbols at all (because it does not
> cause -g to be passed to gcc)
>    * does not strip debug symbols from installed binaries

You need all of the following:

    MKDEBUG=    yes
    MKDEBUGLIB= yes
    DBG=        -g

Actually you might want "DBG=   -g -O2".  I've separated debug and
optimiser option setting in my local sys.mk.

The "debug" symbols are stripped and saved to a hierarchy of files in
/usr/libdata/debug.  You can load these *.debug symbol files in gdb with
the "symbol-file" command.  I find that with everything static-linked I
need only load the one symbol file corresponding to the program
executable being debugged, but this might not be sufficient with
dynamic-linked programs.

I also took all the "*.debug" files out of existing distrib/sets/lists
files and moved them to new distrib/sets/lists/debug files as
appropriate so that I could avoid installing /usr/libdata/debug files on
all machines; and I tweaked the sets stuff to support MKDEBUGLIB too,
but all of this is only necessary if you want to support making
distributions for systems compiled with these options.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/