Re: updating a piece of the running system from build.sh is too hard

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, der Mouse wrote:
> It seems to me that it would be a serious regression if there weren't
> some way to do "build the world as a regular user, then, as root,
> install the resulting build over the live system".

Yes, I agree.

> At present, the install part of this appears to require combining
> MKUNPRIVED and DESTDIR=/, and thus would be broken by having DESTDIR=/
> force MKUNPRIVED off.

"build.sh install=..." is not the same as "make install" or
"${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${MACHINE} install".  The instructions which you
quoted (and which I elided) are about using build.sh to install, and
I agree that, at the build.sh level, it's important for "install=/"
to be independent of "-U".  It's not at all clear to me that the same
reasoning applies at the nbmake-${MACHINE} level.

--apb (Alan Barrett)