Re: Sets, subsets, syspkgs, and MK*

  My understanding is that you need to know the build options for the
  previous build to provide patch files for binary updates.
  At least I think this is the reason why this thread was started.

  I think this requires some kind of configuration storage in the binaries.

Or it requires some CM discipline on the part of people who are changing
options.

In the NetBSD repo, we have rules that we don't change certain things on
stable branches, like shlib major version.  Not changing the default
settings of USE/MK is simply part of this.  Anyone who's making private
builds and wants to use binary patches is in the same boat with CM
rules.

/etc/release already has the MK/USE state.