Re: Built-time generated files vs. dependency

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 08:34:00AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
 > > They tend to get hurt by timestamp games during checkouts etc.
 >
 > Only if their generation rules are written in Makefile?

All generated files should have makefile rules.

Relying on suffix rules for e.g. the .y.c transformation is bad
practice in general (because it's not portable as soon as you try to
chain multiple suffix rules together) and, as you've discovered, even
where we control make it causes other problems. At the very least
something should explicitly say "foo.c: foo.y".

That said, for .y files surely we could just have SRCS+=foo.y and let
the make library sort out the details?

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost