Re: building modules by build.sh (Re: exec: /sbin/init: error 8)

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 05:24:20PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> > > I've already prepared modules.* list files in
> > > src/distrib/sets/lists/base so it should be trivial
> > > to create independent modules.tgz in
> > > src/distrib/sets/set.subr etc.
> > >
> > > But for sysinst(8) we have to modify all files under
> > > distrib/utils/sysinst/arch and it will take some more time
> > > for confirmation.
> >
> > I'm all in favour of the set and the build.sh part - thanks for looking into
> > this. A couple of points to consider:
> >
> > - In the "kernel directory" we may install stuff other than kernel modules.
> >   Some examples: firmware blobs, a splashscreen image, .prop files for
> >   modules. So modules.tgz might not be the best file name.
>
> Hmm, we should have some discussion about the set name then.
> (in a separate discussion about the location of the kernel directory)
>
> - module.tgz
> - modules.tgz
> - kmod.tgz
> - kern-mod.tgz
> - kern-module.tgz
> etc?
>
> I have a feeling that the set name should contain some strings
> which indicate it belongs to kernel, not userland.

I definitely agree with Andrew that there is no need to overthink the
name of the set.  While "modules.tgz" might not reflect the exact
reality, it is well know what it is about, and I don't think there'd be
any confusion about it.

My idea about build.sh vs. modules was:

 - provide a modules.tgz set
 - have a build.sh target to build and install modules (I don't think
   there is much gain splitting it in two targets)
 - add an option to build.sh's sets and install targets to only install
   the sets listed, so  you'd use e.g. ./build.sh -s modules install=/.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost