Re: Reproducible build (a.k.a deterministic build)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 09:04:26AM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 04:12:30PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> > Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
> > > What I've changed:
> > >
> > > - Hack cpp(1) to strip __FILE__'s prefix.
> > >   - At the moment, hint prefix is given to cpp(1) via environment.
> >
> > Probably a flag to cpp would be best in a final version, along with
> > appropriate use of the flag in build.sh.
>
> Ideally it should be something like the -S engine in pax, I think.

I think that's -s, not -S.

> > > The list of ${DESTDIR} files that are not identical:
> > >
> > > - ./METALOG*
> > > - ./etc/mtree/sets.*
> > > - ./etc/release
> > > - ./usr/include/krb5/*.h
> > > - ./usr/libdata/lint/llib-lpam.ln
> > > - ./usr/share/info/*.info
> > > - ./var/db/libc.tags
> >
> > We can probably fix these, too, of course.
>
> METALOG is not part of the output, but used to generate the mtree sets.
> "Fixing" those has the big disadvantage that you can't check for touched
> files any longer as the timestamps won't match. I would keep
> /etc/release in the current form as well.
>
> info pages might be as simple as the attached patch.
>
> I don't see anything obvious for the few krb5/*.h files I looked at.
> Any diff?
>
> Lint: same applies to llib-liscsi.ln

Does this happen for every reachover set of sources that we have (so
openldap, openssh and others would be affected too?), or just things
that require configuration files in a certain place? i.e. what's not
identical in the lint libs?

Thanks,
Alistair