Re: MAKEFLAGS and build.sh

On 20-Oct-08, at 1:37 AM, Mikko Rapeli wrote:

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:45:37PM -0400, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
On 17-Oct-08, at 1:47 AM, Mikko Rapeli wrote:

To me this is fine, but I'm wondering when build.sh will start
resetting
the whole environment and I'd have to rewrite a few build scripts
setting hundreds of variables to the -V style or to a MAKECONF...

Hundreds?

You should be using one or more MAKECONF files!

(Are there even hundreds of variables that one could be setting? Even including many duplicates (which are surrounded by .if's for different builds) and some which are identical to the defaults, I've only got 73
in my mk.conf.)

CPUFLAGS_objectfile on each source file not compiling to or working in thumb
mode on ARM.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/2008/09/19/msg000387.html

OK, I think, IIUC, what you've got there is a very special case, one which should not exist in the longer term. (in the long term I think the toolchain should be fixed to properly support your target architecture and/or any remaining custom settings should be integrated into the relevant makefiles for the affected sources)

However for the short term I think a MAKECONF file, or file fragment that other MAKECONF files could include (if you have multiple source trees and/or build environments), to centralize all those special settings would be most appropriate -- much more appropriate than using a wrapper script which sets them all in environment variables.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>