Stop offering kernel ABI compatibility

[Yet another subject change.  "Stop shipping static librarues by default"
does not properly describe the proposal."]

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2008, at 3:37 AM, David Brownlee wrote:
>>      At the risk of suggesting a compromise which noone likes, we
>>      could put the .a files into a separate 'static dev' set which
>>      sysinst sets to not-installed by default...
>
> This partially defeats the purpose.  The main reason for doing this is
> to move the ABI compatibility boundary out into userspace where it
> belongs.  I want the message to be "if you do this, you are on your
> own... we make no guarantees about binary compatibility", and providing
> an easy way to install the static libraries dilutes the message.

Oh, so that proposal was not "stop shipping static libraries by
default", it was really "stop offering the ABI compatibility that
NetBSD has offered ~forever", with the absence of static libraries as a
consequence of that.

I strongly object to this proposal.

I even more strongly object to having the proposal introduced under
misleading subject headings under a long thread about something
different.  Please start a new thread with your proposal as a top-level
post without any In-Reply-To or References headers, so taht people re
not likely to accidentally overlook it.

--apb (Alan Barrett)