Re: ar "zero" flag

matthew green writes:

> i do not want static linking to go away.
>

> at the very least, it makes some debugging *way* more easy.

What he said.  I can't count the number of times I've built a static
binary on a -current box to test some change on a box running a 3.0
kernel and userland....

No, the binary I was using didn't have PAM or pthread or other fancy
goop in it -- it was most often just 'raidctl', but it was very handy
to be able to compile it on whatever flavour of -current I had
nearby, and still run the binary on the old box...  I submit that
while static libraries might be useless for certain things doing
pthreads and PAM and what not, there is most certainly a class of
uses for which they are very well suited, and I'd really hate to see
that go away...

Later...

Greg Oster