Re: Per-shell override of path names in make(1)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:56:07AM -0800, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> >attached is the core of a patch from pkgsrc that complements and extends
> >the DEFSHELL_CUSTOM handling. The patch allows the default location for
> >each of the shells (sh, ksh, csh) to be set individually via
> >environment.
>
> >Any objections to merge this?
>
> As is, yes.  Though I'm interested in comments from apb and others
> who've worked on this recently.
>
> As I mentioned in private mail, I was hoping for an explaination of
> the benefits.  Eg.
> Does anyone actually ever use "csh" for make?
> Does anyone actually normally use more than one "default" shell for make?
> My guess is the answer to both is "no", in which case, the current ability
> to define _a_ custom shell seems sufficient.

I also wondered that the point of this was.
The SHELL make/env variable lets you set the shell make should use for
all its commands.  This can to be a full path.

I think the tables are used to sort out how make should drive the
various shells (eg when trying to use a single shell to execute a
group of commands).
As such it should be using the 'basename' of $SHELL to determine
which table to use.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost