Re: upgrading GCC 4.1 branch

>> What problem do we have with GPLv3?
> The tivo clause in GPLv3 is downright hostile for a number of areas
> NetBSD is used in.  Other parts are questionable.

The day NetBSD accepts GPLv3 into the tree is the day I stop tracking
it.  And I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

GPLv1 and v2 were obnoxious and hypocritical, but mostly because of the
fluff attached to the actual license.  They were basically readable and
acceptable.  GPLv3, well, I've read it, and it's sufficiently opaque
that I don't even know whether the restrictions it imposes are
acceptable to me - and it is unacceptable to me for that very reason;
that level of opacity in a copyright license grant means the copyright
holder is trying to put something over on their licensees - or wants to
impose Byzantinely complicated restrictions (or, I suppose, just can't
be bothered to write clearly, something v1 and v2 render implausible in
the case of the GPL).

Either way, it is inappropriate for software I run.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost