Subject: Re: Request for comments: let config(1) generate LKMs
To: Hiroyuki Bessho <bsh@grotto.jp>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/14/2007 15:52:42
On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 01:19:18AM +0900, Hiroyuki Bessho wrote:
>  Which means, you don't need to hand-craft files like
> sys/dev/BUS/DEV/{Makefile,DEV_lkm.c} everytime you want the LKM
> version of a device driver.

I see. I somehow assumed this would be a only a very minor part of the work
involved and only be done once (and the results commited to the tree).

>   Hmm, I may miss some points about loading LKMs, but what extra
> information do we need to modload device driver LKMs other than we can
> get from config(5)?

In the case of indirect config buses (like isa): locators (or in general:
properties and driver flags). Maybe something like "ioport=0x370 irq=4"
(turned into a proplib dictionary by modload and passed to the module at
initialization time). For direct config buses probably only parent bus and
device are needed (if at all), if for example you want a module to only
attach to a single usb device, instead of all it would be able to support.

Martin