Subject: Re: test-rebuilding gdb?
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/01/2007 10:03:54
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, der Mouse wrote:
> I want to rebuild just gdb, akin to "make USETOOLS=never dependall" in
> the directory for a native program like ls.  But the directory layout
> with dist/ and reachover Makefiles has me a bit confused.

You need to edit files in dist/gnu/gdb* to fix the bugs you are
working on, but you should not try to build in dist; If you
build in src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb*, then either a build with tools
(${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${MACHINE} dependall) or a build without tools
(make USETOOLS=never dependall) should work.

> Is there a way to rebuild just gdb, or at least some fairly small
> subset (including gdb) of the tools?  What do I need to run, and where?

I thought you wanted to build the target gdb.  There is no tools version
of gdb.

> Looking over the log from a full build, it looks as though it might be
> enough to "make USETOOLS=never dependall" in gnu/usr.bin/gdb53.  True?

Yes, that should do it.

--apb (Alan Barrett)