Subject: Re: Trying to upgrade gcc, the hard way, help appreciated
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/30/2007 14:40:51
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 02:13:05PM -0700, Bucky Katz wrote:
>> David, the head of the library team, is trying to do the exercise of
>> upgrading gcc in place.  He has figured out how to diff and merge the
>> gcc sources so that he has a rlease version of 4.1.2 merged into the
>> netbsd-4 tree, but that is failing because c++ won't build when we try
>> to make a distribution with build.sh. He has, today, discovered
>> src/tools/gcc/README.mknative and is off trying to make that work.
>> What other surprises will he encounter?
>
> Have you considered pulling the -current infrastructure for GCC 4.1.3
> (pre) up to your tree instead?

No, I haven't. I'd be perfectly happy with what we have plus a few bug
fixes, but the Library team wants to always use 'official'
releases. We don't use the svn tree for GCC on the standalone stuff
either. We always use an fsf release tarball. (plus maybe some local
patches for arm that haven't made it into the gcc tree yet.)

>> in mk.conf and trying the build.  (armdev-926ej-s-4.2.1 is a 'straight
>> from FSF' 4.2.1 release that we build as an arm cross compiler)
>
> Hm. I heard a lot of bad things about gcc 4.2, so YMMV.

do you have any pointers to problems?