Subject: two gcc changes
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/23/2007 19:10:23
In my own copy of the source tree (this is all relative to 3.1), I've
made two hacks to gcc:

- -W{no-,}missing-init, which controls the "missing initializer"
   warning and nothing else.  (I want most of what -W does, but I do
   not want this particular warning.)

- Labeled control structure.  This is a way to mark certain control
   structure statements with names; the idea is that you can write (for
   exmaple) a "continue" statement that refers to other than the
   innermost containing "continue"able construct.  Some other languages
   already have something like this; perl does, and I've been told java
   does.  I wanted to see whether it were useful in C (well, something
   C-ish, at least - gcc is already not really C).  I think it is.
   (See the patch to extend.texi for the details.)

I've been using them for a while and they seem stable.  I'm offering
them here in case anyone else wants them.  I haven't yet offered these
back to the FSF; I'd like to get a few more eyes on them first, in case
I've done something boneheaded and managed to miss it because of some
quirk of how I use them.

ftp.rodents.montreal.qc.ca:/mouse/misc/netbsd-patches/ contains
assorted files, of which one is called "gcc", containing the patches
for these changes.  (There are other files there too.  I've got more
changes than just the gcc ones; I'm splitting up the diff output in
that directory.  The gcc changes are the only part I have done as of
this writing, but by the time you look there may well be others broken
out.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign