Subject: Re: HEADS UP: static libraries and FORTIFY_SOURCE
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/29/2007 18:14:12
> It is in fact the case that all the functions we have in our libssp
> are *already* in libc in the other operating systems that build with
> FORTIFY_SOURCE turned on by default (e.g. RedHat Enterprise).  So
> from a namespace point of view this should make us closer to others,
> not farther from it.

Just because a lot of systems make a mistake is not necessarily a good
reason for us to make it.

Whether the action contemplated *is* a mistake, that's a separate
question.  But I think it should be considered on its merits (or lack
thereof), not on "all the other kids are doing it" grounds.

Personally?  I'm against it, but only slightly - while libc is already
polluted with way too much crap and I hate to add to it, very little of
it actually bothers anyone unless it appears in header files, which as
I understand it this stuff won't.

And, since I'm not the one doing the work....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign