Subject: Re: patch to rename disklabel host tool
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/04/2006 08:37:33
--=-=-=

David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 03:54:11PM -0600, David Young wrote:
>
>> that adds the same prefix to disklabel as the
>> suffix on the wrapper.  That is, if the make wrapper is nbmake-xxx for
>> the target, then disklabel will be named xxx-disklabel.  In this way,
>> the tools directory will contain a disklabel that appropriate to every
>> target's LABELSECTOR and LABELOFFSET #defines.
>>=20
>> I would like to commit this.  Let me know if there is a better way.
>
> 1) Use separate tools directories for each architecture you build.

BUILDING says this isn't necessary (although I won't argue that it
isn't an effective workaround).

     TOOLDIR     Directory to hold the host tools, once built.  If specifie=
d,
                 must be an absolute path.  This directory should be unique=
                 a given host system and NetBSD source tree.  (However, mul=
ti-
                 ple targets may share the same TOOLDIR; the target-depende=
nt
                 files have unique names.)  If unset, a default based on the
                 uname(1) information of the host platform will be created =
in
                 the .OBJDIR of src.

                 Default: Unset.

and I don't think we should change this.  I do this all the time
(TOOLDIR=3D/usr/obj/auto-current/tools).  Last I checked the objdir ends
up not shared so non-machine-dependent host tools get built/installed
more than they needed to, but that's efficiency not correctness.

> 2) Change disklabel so that it is common - c/f installboot.

Sure, that would be good.

But until that's done, which is a lot of work, it seems that we have
different versions of host tools depending on the target machine.  I
think it makes sense to name them with the target; ugly beats broken.

I'd call it disklabel-$machine (or nbdisklabel-$machine) instead of
$machine-disklabel, to be parallel with nbmake-$machine.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--