Subject: Re: patch to rename disklabel host tool
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/03/2006 22:38:20
On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 03:54:11PM -0600, David Young wrote:

> I have attached a patch

Or not as it seems....

> that adds the same prefix to disklabel as the
> suffix on the wrapper.  That is, if the make wrapper is nbmake-xxx for
> the target, then disklabel will be named xxx-disklabel.  In this way,
> the tools directory will contain a disklabel that appropriate to every
> target's LABELSECTOR and LABELOFFSET #defines.
>
> I would like to commit this.  Let me know if there is a better way.

1) Use separate tools directories for each architecture you build.
2) Change disklabel so that it is common - c/f installboot.
3) Change the ports to use a common disklabel location :-)

The actual problems with disklabel are:
a) The fact that the 'raw' partition switches between 'c' and 'd' [1]
b) Nothing tells anything how many partitions are allowed [2]

	David

[1] i386 only uses 'c' in the check for overwriting the label.

[2] there is the rather useless 'number that are initialised'. Last I
looked the label could always be extended to 16 (from 8) provided it
didn't cross a sector boundary.

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk