Subject: Re: configuration of gcc4 stuck in a loop on Cobalt
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/17/2006 21:15:54
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Kevin Lahey wrote:

> After successfully building ld, it appears to continuously try to
> configure gcc4;  this is an improvement over previous builds with older
> source, in which I got infinite recursion in a check of include files.
>
> I've attached what appears to me to be the significant parts of the log
> file;  if that's not enough, I've got another 55,000 lines of this
> repeating again and again.  :-)
>
> I'd sure appreciate any debugging suggestions.

   I just recently had the same thing happen to me on an old AlphaServer
1000A.  I thought the machine was just being slow, but after it sat
building tools/gcc, I took a look at the log file and found it running the
gcc configure over and over.  After updating my sources and starting the
build from scratch, it still did the same thing.

   Poking around in the various Makefiles, I found an entry that had the
config.status (I think) as a dependancy along with a file (or files)
specified as a make macro.  I then figured out that I had run one of my
cvs updates after I had run the standalone raid configuration utility
which had changed the clock.  Booting into NetBSD after that had changed
the year to 2026, so all the new files from the cvs update (which I think
included a gcc4 update) had files 20 years in the future.  One of those
file was presumably part of the make dependancy, so it always thought
config.status was out of date.  After doing a touch on all the files in my
source tree that were in the future, my build worked much better.

   I don't know if this might be your problem, but it would be one thing to
check.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant