Subject: Re: gcc3 deletion
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/07/2006 19:48:55
prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk said:
> The above questions I think are rather an answer to why should we add
> f77

I'm not advocating against fortran, but since gcc also supports
ada and java now, we need to draw a line somewhere. Which could be
"we need it to build a program in the tree", leaving just c and c++.
Or "the former, and everything which is lightweight", which would
add objc and fortran.
Having the ada support in the tree would be worthwhile
because bootstrapping it is hard and it could benefit a lot from a
reachover makefile structure. Don't know about the usefulness of
gcc-java. Both would increase system build time significantly.

best regards
Matthias