Subject: Re: using MKSTATICLIB
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/11/2006 00:04:29
--a2FkP9tdjPU2nyhF

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 01:50:07PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
  | I was playing around with a build using MKSTATICLIB=3Dyes, and this los=
es
  | because a few libraries we have are static only, and thus don't end up
  | getting built at all.

Playing around with "MKSTATICLIB=3Dyes" or "MKSTATICLIB=3Dno" ?
I could understand the problem that you're describing
when building with MKSTATICLIB=3Dno ...

  | Is adding "MKSTATICLIB=3Dyes" to the library Makefiles the right way to
  | deal with this?  The patch below fixes this for me.

I think that's a bit grody, and may fail when
	make MKSTATICLIB=3Dno=20
is used, because command-line variable assignments take precedence
over Makefile (global) variable assignments...
(This latter reason is why we use "MKxxx" as the end-user controls,
and set NOxxx in the Makefiles to hard-code stuff that shouldn't
be changed.)

We probably need a separate make var that the necessarily library
can Makefiles use to force a .a to be built even if MKSTATICLIB=3Dno.

This may also be necessary for MKPRIVATELIB=3Dyes libraries.
(I have an uncommitted patch that I was testing for the latter.
I think I didn't commit it because I didn't have a clean
solution for the problem you hit.)

We can thrash this out offline if you like.

cheers,
Luke.

--a2FkP9tdjPU2nyhF

--a2FkP9tdjPU2nyhF--