Subject: Re: __STDC__ in cdefs_elf.h
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/09/2006 00:53:36
> This is because of one of my least-favorite bogosities about the GNU
> compilers: they implement C token pasting and stringification in the
> C language frontend instead of in the C preprocessor.

Not in my experience.  Indeed, the only way to integrate # and ## into
the C front-end is to roll the preprocessor into it, since they are
inherently preprocessor features.

> This has annoyed me periodically for about a decade now; I wish it
> would annoy someone with more GCC clue sufficiently to fix it!  :-)

I'd say it's a consequence of a much worse failing: trying to use a C
preprocessor to preprocess things with non-C-compatible syntax.
Complaining about the C preprocessor being difficult to use for
assembly code makes about as much sense as complaining about a kitchen
stove being difficult to use for driving to work - well, okay, that's
more like complaining about cpp being a bad Web browser.  Let's say
instead, about as much sense as complaining about a screwdriver being
difficult to paint walls with.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign