Subject: re: Enabling separate debug symbol support for gdb6
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/18/2006 12:41:26

   > * The default globaldebugdir is: /usr/lib/debug
   >   I think that this should be:   /usr/libdata/debug

   Why? It's data that exsits solely in relation to the library; it's the
   same format as the libraries themselves, and it isn't any kind of
   runtime data for anything but the debugger. Keeping it close to the
   library seems right to me, and has the virtue of matching existing
   practice on other systems.

hier(7) says this:

	lib/      archive, profiled, position independent archive, and
		  shared libraries
	libdata/  miscellaneous utility data files

the only current contents of libdata on my systems are "lint"
libraries.  lint and debug symbols seem to be similar to me,
so to me libdata/lint is prior data.  symbol and debug data
does not fit the "lib" description above, either.

.mrg.